As per the guidelines/regulations of the Medical Council of India and the University Grants Commission respectively, the University has instructed Sri Devaraj Urs Medical College the constituent unit of the University who has implemented measures to curb ragging in the campus.
CHAIRMAN, ANTI-RAGGING COMMITTEE
Name : Dr.P N Sreeramulu
Phone No: 94482 80804
Email Id : email@example.com
NODAL PERSON, ANTI-RAGGING COMMITTEE
Name : Dr.Sridevi N.S
Phone No : 9741243683
Email Id : firstname.lastname@example.org
MEMBER SECRETARY, ANTI-RAGGING COMMITTEE
Name : Dr.Ajay Kumar T.S
Phone No: 8762187321
Email Id : email@example.com
REGULATIONS ON CURBING MENACE OF RAGGING IN HIGHER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS
- UNIVERSITY GRANTS COMMISSION, (Under Section 26 (1) (g) of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956), F.1-16/2007 (CPP-ll), Dated 17th June, 2009 Click here
- MEDICAL COUNCIL OF INDIA, NOTIFICATION, New Delhi, the 3rd August, 2009, No. MCI-34(1)/2009-Med./25453 Click here
In view of the directions of the Hon’ble Supreme Court in the matter of “University of Kerala v/ s. Council, Principals, Colleges and others” in SLP no. 24295 of 2006 dated 16.05.2007 and that dated 8.05.2009 in Civil Appeal number 887 of 2009, and in consideration of the determination of the Central Government and the University Grants Commission to prohibit, prevent and eliminate the scourge of ragging including any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student, or indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student or asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student, with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student, in all higher education institutions in the country, and thereby, to provide for the healthy development, physically and psychologically, of all students, the University Grants Commission, in consultation with the Councils, brings forth this Regulation. In exercise of the powers conferred by Clause (g) of sub-section (1) of Section 26 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, the University Grants Commission hereby makes the following Regulations –
Constitutes one or more of any of the following acts:
- any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student;
- indulging in rowdy or indisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student;
- asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student;
- any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher;
- exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students;
- any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
- any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, the vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student;
- any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
Administrative action in the event of ragging.-
The institution shall punish a student found guilty of ragging after following the procedure and in the manner prescribed herein under:
- The Anti-Ragging Committee of the institution shall take an appropriate decision, in regard to punishment or otherwise, depending on the facts of each incident of ragging and nature and gravity of the incident of ragging established in the recommendation: of the Anti-Ragging Squad.
- The Anti-Ragging Committee may, depending on the nature and gravity of the guilt established by the Anti-Ragging Squad, award, to those found guilty, one or more c the following punishments, namely;
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
- Withholding/ withdrawing scholarship/ fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/ examination or other evaluation processes.
- Withholding results.
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/ expulsion from the hostel.
- Cancellation of admission.
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from one to four semesters.
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to other institution for a specified period.
- Fine of Rs.25000/= and Rs.1 Lakh
- Provided that where the persons committing or abetting the act of ragging are n identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.
CONSTITUTION OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES & POWERS OF THE ANTI RAGGING SQUAD
As per the directions of Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, the University Grants Commission order No. F. 1-15/2009 (Ragging) dated 17th May 2008, Guidelines framed by MCI notification No.MCI-34(l)2009-Med./25453, Section 33 of Indian Medical Council Act 1956 & Government of Karnataka order (Karnataka Education Act 1983, Karnataka Act No.1. 1995, Sec 116 Sec 2 (29), Sec 137) the anti-ragging squad is formed to ensure ragging free campus for this academic year 2019-2020.
The duty roaster is formed and it is the responsibility of a squad to be around the Campus on the days assigned. Squad is expected to meet at 4:00 PM every day in the Warden’s Men’s & Women’s Hostel office and will chart out the functioning of the members that day which will start from 4:00 PM to 9:00 AM next day with mutual understanding. Wardens & Deputy Warden will co-ordinate with flying squad every day. The flying squad duty by the teaching staff members is made mandatory. Failure to attend as per the schedule is considered as disobeying the order.
Duties, Responsibilities & Power of the Anti-Ragging Squad.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- The Squad Member is mainly responsible for preventing ragging activities.
- The functioning of the Squad Member starts at 4:00 PM to 9:00 AM next day however as the hostel wings are locked between 10:30 PM to 6:00 AM next day the responsibilities lies with Hostel Authorities during that time.
- By mutual arrangement, the responsibilities shall be shared among the Squad members by informing the Member Secretary, Anti-ragging Committee.
- The Squad Member will vigil all the sensitive areas (inside & outside) of the Campus.
- The Squad Member shall visit the hostel as frequently as necessary to enforce Anti – Ragging Act.
- The Squad Member has got the power to enter any area of the Campus where suspected ragging is going on.
- The squad has got the right to demand the register & to know the where abouts of the students by the supervisor. If the supervisor is not able to provide satisfactory answer to the where abouts, serious disciplinary action will be taken against them.
- If any student found guilty of ragging, the Squad Member has got the power to take any action deem fit like eviction of the individual from the hostel on intimating to the Principal.
- All ragging incidents shall be reviewed by the Ant-Ragging Committee and the action can vary from dismissing from the college to handing over to the police.
Note: The squad member on duty has to compulsorily make a note in the register maintained in the hostels & the same will be scrutinized by the head of the institution